Monday, January 12, 2009

WHY IT TOOK ME 6 HOURS TO CLEAN MY KITCHEN COUNTER:
1. First I had to empty my dishwasher.
2. Then I loaded my dishwasher.
3. In putting my cleaned knives away, I saw that the knife holder was disgusting, so I took it down and scrubbed it. In scrubbing it, I scrubbed off the varnish, so I set it aside to dry.
4. In taking the knife holder off the wall, I saw the cobwebs around the dirty curtains.
(LET ME JUST SAY, THAT WHEN I TAKE ON A CLEANING PROJECT, I NOTICE EVERYTHING ELSE THAT HAS BEEN NEGLECTED - AND THESE DIRTY AREAS JUST SCREAM AT ME!)
5. I put grandson, Jack, down for a nap.
6. I took down the curtain.
7. I had to rotate the laundry that was sitting in my dryer and washer, so I could wash my curtains.
8. I washed the windows (I AVOIDED TAKING THE DOUBLE LAYER WINDOWS APART AND DOING A GOOD JOB - INSTEAD, I JUST WASHED THE SPATTERED WINDOWS FACING THE SINK).
9. I washed the ceiling above the sink, where something brownish/red had splashed, maybe years ago....who knows. (I AVOIDED TAKING THE LIGHT ABOVE THE SINK APART AND CLEANING IT THOROUGHLY).
10. Calvin and Jude came in from school; I fixed them hot chocolate.
11. I'M NOW JUST STARTING TO CLEAN THE COUNTER.
12. I cleaned the scuzzy scrubber holder - yuck, it was bad.
13. I had to reorganize my herbal tea bag box, so all the herb teas I'd bought and had sitting on the counter could be put away.
14. I had to clean out the power supply holder (my wicker goose), because cords were hanging out from it - I found 4 power supplies we no longer used.
15. I cleaned off my breadboard that holds my counter stuff: salt, pepper, oil and vinager, utensils, tea, etc. That needed to be scrubbed good and everything washed off.
16. I had to refill my salt and pepper shakers.
17. Rotated the laundry again, so I could dry my curtains.
18. I had to sweep my bathroom floor, because I spilled granulated laundry soap.
19. I could now finish putting stuff into the crockpot for my dinner soup.
20. Riley arrived from school, so now it's help the kids get their homework done.
21. Jack wakes up.
22. Time to fix an after school snack.
23. I finish cleaning the counter!!!!
24. I varnished my knife holder.
25. I rehung the curtain. WHEW! I'm done!


I'M HOPING TO CLEAN OFF TWO SURFACES TOMORROW: THE TOP OF A BOOKCASE IN MY FAMILY ROOM AND THE TOP OF MY KITCHEN HUTCH: WISH ME LUCK!








2 comments:

Ice Cream said...

I feel ya. I set the goal to have my room clean every day this week, well it took till this morning for it to finally be clean. It was really messy and it is hard for me to find time to get back there. Either the baby needs me or one of the other kids needs me or I'm making a meal, cleaning, etc... But, now that it is finally done I'm going to KEEP it clean (for the rest of this week anyway).

Anonymous said...

Mom, the counters look great. I hope I can speak for the rest of the family and say that I will do my best, when visiting, to clean up my messes and keep your hard work long-lasting. (hint, hint all of us kids and grand kids)