Wednesday, June 9, 2010











JUNE 9, 2010

Day three has gone wonderfully! We got up when we wanted to, then drove for 4 hours to Hannibal, Missouri. We didn't stay long - would have loved to have taken a riverboat ride, but not enough time.

Then on to Nauvoo, Illinois - what a BEAUTIFUL drive - first over the Mississippi River, then following it north on the Illinois side until we got to Nauvoo. We only spent a little over an hour there - got to see the General Story, Brigham Young's House, The Nauvoo Mansion, then to the park where the kids dressed like the 1800's and played with 1800's toys. They had great fun.

I told the kids that I just gave them a taste of Hannibal and Nauvoo - that when they're older, they can go there again and stay longer to enjoy more of it. I think that if we'd stayed any longer at either place, they would have gotten bored fast. It was hot and humid, so getting into an air-conditioned car was a great incentive to get on the road again.

The backroads of Illinois were a nice change from the Interstate travel we've done and will be doing again tomorrow.

Now we're in Montrose, Illinois -relaxing and swimming and getting rested for two straight days of travel.

Yesterday, I had a tough time with my orientation - although I was driving due East through South Dakota, I felt like I was driving North and North East. It was freaking me out. Today the compass in my head finally swung the right way, and I did fine.

Also, I feel like David Seville with very loose dentures - instead of yelling "Alvin" all the time, I'm yelling "Calvin" over and over. Not that he's doing anything wrong - he just focuses so hard on what he's doing, that it's hard to get his attention.



(More pictures from today will be posted tomorrow)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Awesome!!! I love these pics!!!