Monday, March 21, 2011


Karen and her father, Bud.

Oh my aching back! About nine days ago, I took a good friend of mine to Boise so she could surprise her father on his 95th birthday. She hadn't been to see him for about 3 years because she is confined to a wheelchair with MS. We did very well on the trip - her meeting with her father was bitter-sweet. He woke enough to recognize her, but he was so sleepy he couldn't really focus on her being there. She was glad she was able to see him again. We had planned on going back to see him again the next day, before we left Boise, but that morning, while I was helping her into her wheelchair, her legs gave out and she started to fall, with twisted legs! I reached out to catch her, but bent the wrong way and I heard a snap in my back. The pain was intense at first, but settled down enough for me to function again. We had someone at the hotel help us get her back into her wheelchair, then someone helped get her into my car. We weren't able to go back to see her dad because I couldn't lift her anymore. We made it home safe and she was so appreciative of having been able to see her dad one last time.
But now it's over a week later, and something is definitely still wrong with my back. I've made an appointment with a chiropractor for the first time in my life. I've always been a skeptic...but I'm willing to try one now.

1 comment:

Butterfly Frogs said...

PLEASE make an appointment to see your doctor or someone specializing in back injuries. With your histroy the "pop" may have been something small enough the chiropractor won't be concerned with but may in fact cause more damage to you the more he messes with your back.
I have too many times seen people come in for surgery, after having seen chiropractors for little injuries, because they had more damage done from the chiro's adjustments or from physical therapy even.